Monday, February 12, 2007

World Cup 2018

I can tell you that Gordon ‘Nobby’ Brown is supporting the bid by this wonderful nation of ours for the 2018 World Cup. It reminds me of when Preston North End beat Huddersfield Town 1-0 in extra time to win the 1938 FA Cup semi-final, I remember turning to my good friend, Albert ‘Kneecaps’ Stouthers and saying to him, ‘Albert, I do hope I’m around to see the World Cup come to England again in 2018’.

‘Again?’ he said. ‘What do mean by that, Guano, old boy?’

‘Well, Albert,’ I said, looking at him knowingly. ‘I predict that we’ll have the World Cup in 1966 and that we’ll win it.’

‘By strewth!’ said Albert, who true to his nickname, fell to his knees in amazement. ‘We’ll win the world cup?’

‘We will indeed,’ I told him. ‘But not before we've fought another World War. I’ve been told as much by those in the know.’

And you know the rest.

No comments: